DAY 1 – Ash Wednesday 18th February 2015

Lent is a period of life change if you want it to be.

It is taking control of our lives and becoming the people we want to become and not the people we accidentally become through the pressure of circumstances or because we just have no plan at all.

It is the time to take stock of our spiritual life and turn to God. Our daily living and the practical decisions and activities of our lives affect us spiritually so therefore it is vital to take stock of your actions and life course as part of our Lenten journey over the next 40 days.

Lent is that period of possibilities. As we decrease ask God to increase in you. It is this listening and talking to God that is prayer. Prayer is the chief means of communicating with God as we reflect upon the coming of Jesus into the world for us at Easter so that no barrier can prevent us being in deep relationship with God.

ACTION: On this Ash Wednesday reflect and then write in long or brief form a very honest assessment of where you are today at the beginning of Lent. You will come back to this on numerous occasions over the next 40 days. Are you the man or woman you want to be? Are you where you thought you would be at this stage of your life? As you do this imagine you are talking with God who keeps your secrets all to Himself and who accepts you exactly as you are. It would mean that you could be completely truthful. You could even write this as a letter to God.

GOSPEL READING:

The Catechism tells us that in the Scriptures God comes and speaks to us. The Gospel reading for each day is included for you.

Click here for today’s Gospel Reading:  Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

DAY 1 – Ash Wednesday 18th February 2015

1. Kathy Payet | | Reply

Thank you Bruce for sharing your personal experience.It is really in our darkest moments that we really feel the presence of God. For myself when I knelt beside my son’s lifeless body I could only cry out to God .I have always wondered what I would have done that night if I hadn’t turned to Him,

2. Tommy Frutiger | | Reply

I thank you for this first e-mail Catholic Guy and I pray I will be blessed by the daily adventure with you during the Lenten season of 2015. I will do as you suggest, write a letter to God in my journal. Keeping a journal is often beneficial as I deal with the world, knowing I am in the world but do not have to be of the world.

3. Patricia Cannard | | Reply

I am looking forward to spending more time in prayer during Lent – rather than giving something up, I am taking positive steps to renew my spiritual life. Thank you for your help

4. Eddie | | Reply

I remember 21 years ago receiving the call from the nursing home in the early hours of the morning. They told me my dad had died. I went over there. It was still dark. They directed me to a small room. There was dad in one of those black plastic body bags (like the ones you see in war or disaster film.) it was unzipped at the top, so I could see his face. I don’t remember what I was thinking at the time. I don’t remember praying (maybe I did?) dad raised me,looked after me, gave me everything i ever needed. He passed his faith onto me. This Lenten journey i pray I will become closer to Jesus, the son of god the father, who is mine too.

5. jill Mitchell | | Reply

Dear Bruce,

I thank our Lord Jesus for this ministry of yours, I could not envisage anything more wonderful during Lent. I have two very big health issues to address during this period. I know that both issues will need me to include and implore our Lord prayerfully, and possibly will need much fasting and discipline. I went to Mass on Ash Wednesday, preceded by Shrove Tuesday the previous evening. I know that Satan will try and put a spanner in the works, and the work to be done is going to be tough, but Jesus went through that temptation for forty days and He is our example. Thank you for this Lenten journey.

6. Joanne | | Reply

I enjoyed the reflection from Ash Wednesday but sadly have not received any emails since. I would be most appreciative if you can rectify this problem.

I am looking forward to walking with u to the end and to change my spiritual life. The walk will not be easy but God will be my guide and protector. Jesus did it and with my cross behind him, he will lead me on.