Day 12 – 1st March: Second Sunday of Lent

Have you ever stopped to consider what your image of God is?

Maybe you see an old man with a beard who might be loving, angry, judgemental or possibly female depending on your circumstances. There are many other images that we have when we pray to God and these images can affect how we relate to God.

When I was a teenager there was a picture of Jesus that went around. Jesus was white, very good looking and had soft eyes that seemed to see right into you as well as hair that was groomed in the latest hairstyle that just sat on His shoulders.

I prayed to this image for a long time and then I went and studied theology for ten years at university I was introduced to many other images of God. This deeply affected my prayer life and experience of God.

Imagine being Peter, James and John in the Gospel reading today who see Jesus transfigured speaking with Moses and Elijah on the mountain. They would never have been the same after that experience.

ACTION: How do you see God? Nurse, policeman, school principal, etc? What ever your image of God is try changing it today and then pray? You will find a richer experience of God.

GOSPEL READING: Mark 9: 2-10

Day 12 – 1st March: Second Sunday of Lent

1. Yvonne McAskill | | Reply

My image of God has changed,as a child there was atime when I called out to Jesus and asked for what to me was a miracle, and He heard and answered. I then imaged Him as superman, and that stayed with me for a few years.I did not like pain of any sort. As my prayer life has evolved if there is any image it has to be The father in Luke’s Prodigal son. I see Him with His arms out to embrace me and the joy is indescribable.I come home to myself.

2. Barbara | | Reply

Are we allowed to have image of God?…
    Seeing Jesus in others helps me in my faith..
    But, can all billions of people claim being in God’s love… – I get lost when I try to imagine that….
    And yet, thanks to you Bruce! – I do pray the best I can :o)

3. C Rocca | | Reply

I am trying to see the good in all But this is my Lenten TEST CAN others see God Good in me?

\

4. Tommy Frutiger | | Reply

Jesus is now my friend, my counselor, my physician, mentor, father, … He is approachable. There was a time when He was out of reach. I know He loves me when I stray into the darkness.

5. Deborah Fougeray | | Reply

Thank you Bruce for sharing your faith and life experiences. My own faith has been deepened with your spiritual guidance this Lent. You are truly a gift from God. Glad you hung in there all these years. By the way what was the outcome of causing the chest pain? I am glad you are all right. Our Lord wanted you here to share His message through you to us.

6. Mike Edwards | | Reply

Loved the video Bruce the good Lord needed you here to continue the good work you are doing.

Thanks for ur teaching life experiences. I remember two days ago I also had this shape pain in my chest, I drank a cup of water and left it in the hands of God cause there is nothing much I can do about it. Listening to ur wife I know my late husband would have said the same thing to me. I am a child of God and he will take care. Thanks