Day 20 – 9th March

The Scripture that Pope Francis used for his Lenten message this year is from James 5:8.

“Set Your Hearts Firm” is the summary of this verse.

Being strong is a challenge that we all face. I know so often that I want to do the best but I fall short. It’s easy to tell other people what to do but being strong and disciplined is a great challenge.

This exhortation from Pope Francis to set our hearts firm can only work when it’s built on a foundation of daily prayer. Prayer enables us to lean into God even when we fail.

Prayer has enabled many people to far surpass their personal strength in living as they ought.

ACTION: During this Lent where do you need to be firm? When you have decided this take it to prayer and ask God to strengthen you in that area.

GOSPEL READING: Luke 4:24-30

Day 20 – 9th March

1. Helen Bradford | | Reply

For years (I am 65), I have felt that God has a plan for me, but I could not grasp what it was. So i married, raised my children, worked to help the family budget and retired. I filled my spare time with many things, such as gardening, sewing, knitting, cooking and meeting friends. At the end of last year my parish started a SVDP Conference and I joined. At first I felt that this was not it, but the more work I do, the more I know that God had been preparing me for a long time for this work, because to have empathy for people who are suffering, you must know suffering. To understand how people struggle to pay their bills, you must know that struggle. And to know how to hep, you must first listen to their words and even the lines in between.
    Bruce, thank you for showing me that God has been preparing me for this work by leaving me in the desert for 40 years. And now I know I can and will do his work. Praise the Lord.

2. Cheryl Grieve | | Reply

Thank you Bruce for your daily video and reflection. It has really helped me to focus more this lent to walk closer to God. May God continue to inspire you as you draw others closer to Him.

3. Ted | | Reply

Bruce,your message today confirms the quote :-
    “trust in the Lord with all of your might
    Lean not on your own understanding.”
    Blessings and thank you for constancy in your mission,and
    also to those who support, encourage and work with you
    Ted.

4. Angie | | Reply

Thank you Bruce for your most inspiring talk today and the past 19 days. I am elderly, just lost my husband a year ago and I feel I am now in the dessert in my old age, but I am closer to The Lord than I have ever been during my working life. I feel that The Lord is still guiding me to where He wants me go and do what He wants me to. Praise The Lord . May He guide you and the Holy Spirit enlighten you to carry on the great work you are doing. May God bless you.

5. Sandie Urquhart | | Reply

Thank you so much for these Lenten videos and reflections, Bruce. I look forward to them every morning as I share myself with our heavenly father. I am praying that through this one thing, many hearts will be softened to let God in.

6. cathy | | Reply

I am so grateful for all the ways that God works the moments in our life for good. Becoming what God intends…walking with Him….trusting Him…every hard thing we experience humbles us to a surrender to His merciful plan. Now, in my 58th year of life, I am preparing to marry. My fiancé, at 65, has also never been married. We are, together, experiencing God’s bountiful love in a brand new way and looking forward, in hope and joy.

So far during this journey I have learned that praying without ceasing means having God in ur mind all day, asking for his guidance and thanking him for all that happens in ur life. I will try to keep him in mind as my Lord and savior.

8. Margaret Rampersad | | Reply

Need all the help I can get to stay close to our Lord and Saviour,your videos and reflections has certainly done that,May Jesus and our Blessed Mother be with you always.

9. Ythe openingvonne McAskill | | Reply

Thank you Bruce , it is good to know that it is always God working in me that gets it done, that He is always in everything and everyone. And it is to Him the praise and glory are due.

10. Veronica | | Reply

Beautiful one today Bruce. Really encourages me to trust and be patient with what he wants from me. I feel lost and directionless even lazy sometimes. The road seems long and hard and circumstances so difficult and challenging. But I’m encouraged today by your sharing and by the comments here.

11. Lucia | | Reply

Thank you so much Bruce for sharing your most inner thoughts of your life that has lead you to this Walk Through Lent with you. I am learning so much and can relate to many of your life journey’s. I’m so glad that you made it to your 27 years… I hope you will continue to share with us after lent! Blessings to you and your Family