Day 25 – 14th March

In 1973 when I was a teenager my local Catholic priest encouraged me to start keeping what became known as my ‘prayer journal.’

It has become a book that when I travel I never go anywhere without.

Have you noticed that talking to God can at times be difficult because focusing on an invisible being can be challenging.

It’s is so easy to become distracted and for our thoughts to wander.

If this is you can I encourage you try writing your prayers for a time. You will be amazed at what you will write and just how much you will reflect on.

Write from the heart and write honestly.

Write as if you are writing to a friend. This is prayer.

Another advantage of keeping a prayer journal is that it is a record of your relationship with God.

I can now go back and read what I prayed on my wedding day, when my first child was born, when I got my first job working for the Church, during times when I have been unfaithful to God and after some amazing ministry events in parishes.

These journals since 1973 encourage me and have become the most precious item that I have.

ACTION: Today write your prayers out and then review it on Easter Sunday.

GOSPEL READING: Luke 18:9-14

Day 25 – 14th March

1. Bazza | | Reply

“you only become what you do” Thank you Bruce this clip has been exceptional inspiring.
    I have big hopes and dreams but maybe I am waiting around to much. Indeed praying is core, listening to God. Taking the time to do and practise by myself but also in community with other Christians is essential to become what God wants me to become.

Dear Bruce, your video reflection has helped me so much indeed. I am now going to keep a pray journal so that in years to come I can look back at the prayers I have said. I pray in quiet place and I now learnt how to pray maturely. I feel that I am closer to God when I pray in a mature way. I used to pray things that I wanted God to give me. Now I pray in a mature way, and I am so very happy and feel so connected to God. Thank you so much for letting me be a part of this Lenten program. Take care Bruce, and may God bless and keep you. Cheers Erica

3. Joanne | | Reply

Keeping a prayer journal…what a wonderful idea. I find that I get very easily distracted when I’m trying to pray and that frustrates me immensely. If I close my eyes to try to keep focus I end up falling asleep!

Making a regular time is also a good idea but finding that time is a challenge. I think I will make it the same time that I am doing this Lenten reflection…. First thing in the morning when I wake- it’s the only time I get to myself, with no distractions or other people wanting my time.

A time alone for me and God is what I need and crave for in my life.

Thanks

4. .Ythe openingvonne McAskill | | Reply

In prayer it is good to remember Mary’s question to the Angel “HOW” will this happen?….and reflect on the reply “GOD will do it”; because that is what happens and it happens quietly without any work on our part…and somehow when we least expect it words can come out that can be the cause of some ones inner healing. In using my journal almost daily …talking out problems, asking requests for someone, praising and thanking Him for the blessings , I have grown in the knowledge that I need to be a good listener in the prayers of silence and discover that Our God is really interested in us. Thank you Bruce for this time of sharing with you and others. May GOD continue His secret work in you.

5. Loretta Amos | | Reply

Thank you Bruce for your wise words on keeping a prayer journal. I have been doing this since the eighties.It is truly a blessed way for us to open our hearts and minds to our loving God. If you haven’t done it before you will be surprised how often God will speak to your heart. I would encourage all who do this to always give God the Glory as your faith life grows.

What a great idea. If u go back and read what has been written since we started this Lenten walk , u will be amazed at what we have come up with daily. When u start writing the ideas just fill ur mind and keep Coming, and its hard to stop sometimes. God will guide us to be the author of our own prayers. Talking and raising up our minds and hearts to him in our own words, spontaneously, is the greatest achievement.

I too find myself being distracted when I pray and get frustrated, I also find myself having brain freezes but taking your suggestion Bruce and writing my prayer down tonight is very helpful. It’s also a great way to keep a record of my spiritual life and see the progress in my relationship with the Lord. Thank you Bruce and the Catholic Guy team for this lentern program. It is a real blessing.
    God Bless you
    Valerie

8. Stephen (Perth) | | Reply

Bruce, another great message. This Lenten series has really helped me stay connected during this time of reflection. The theme of prayer is most appropriate for me as I can always do better. Your messages put prayer into real life experiences, rather than ‘something separate and out there in the ether’. Thank you and well done faithful servant.

9. Tommy Frutiger | | Reply

Lord, make me humble. I am nothing without you. You walk behind and you lead the way.

10. Hudson Caro | | Reply

I like the prayer journal idea. Also, I am thinking about making a list of the people I promise to pray for, becasue I sometimes forget who I told I would pray for them. Your video made me think of Moses today, who was not a great speaker, but God gave him the words. The closer we are to God through praying and following in His ways the more He will give us the right words to speak to whomever. I feel, although a sinner, that God has spoken through me at times, because of the words that have come out of my mouth. I was very quiet and introverted as a young person. But I have learned to reach out to people as God would want us to do. Also, I have found one of my talents is holding open doors for
    people. I have walked faster to get ahead of people to open the doors for people or waiting for them that are a few steps behind me. It really seems to put a smile on their face, and they really seem to appreciate the thoughtfulness.

Our journal to God, is like writing our biography, –
    A reflection of our life.
    Just as the author offers the content, to those, interested in reading, we offer our story, our documentation to God, because he is deeply interested in our account, in what we have to say.
    The beauty of our biography, is knowing, we can write as many chapters as we wish. –
    The pages will all be read, acknowledged and understood, lovingly, without judgement.
    God wants to know our thoughts and feelings – He engages with us, connects with us, in total love and care.
    Make open, what is in your heart, to God. – He will not edit, nor critique. He understands, the meaning of our words; our disappointments, and blessings.